Stuffed Garlic Chicken
- 1 head garlic
- 1 Tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ Tsp Fine sea salt
- 1 Tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 10-12 dried apricots
- 5 dried figs
- ½ cup shelled unsalted raw pistachio nuts
- 1 chicken, (whole 5 lbs. washed, patted dry)
- ½ orange, unpeeled, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 Tbsp margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut one to two inches off the top of garlic head to expose cloves. Place in center of a square of foil in small baking pan. Drizzle with oil; Season chicken with salt and pepper. Close foil packet. Roast forty-five minutes to one hour until soft and fragrant.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, finely chop apricots, figs, and pistachios. With fingers, loosen skin from chicken breasts, thighs, and legs. Massage fruit mixture under the skin, getting it into cavities where the skin was loosened. Next stuff orange slices and rosemary into chicken cavity.
3. Tie legs close with chicken twine. Place chicken on a rack in roasting pan. Cool garlic, and squeeze from skins onto cutting board. Mash garlic with the back of a knife to make a smooth paste. Rub all over chicken; drizzle with margarine. Cover all over with foil. Bake 1hour, fifteen minutes, basting two to three times with pan juices. Uncover; roast until skin is brown, watching to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn, about fifteen minutes.
Makes 4 servings