Cajun Beans and Rice
- 1 Tbsp oil
- One onion, chopped, 1 cup
- One green pepper, diced, I cup
- 1 cup chopped celery, about two ribs
- Two clove garlic, minced
- ½ Tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ½ Tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2½ kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and salt; cook, occasionally stirring, until mixture is tender. Cook for seven to eight minutes. Stir in broth, rice, and Tabasco; bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Cover; cook twenty minutes. Stir in beans; cook until beans are heated through, and liquid is absorbed, one to two minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley and, if desired, additional Tabasco sauce.
Makes 8 servings.