- 4 Tbsp. butter (Divided)
- 3 lbs. beef chuck round or rump, cut into 1-½ inch cubes
- Two mediums onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- One clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- One bay leaf
- ¼ Tsp. thyme leaves
- ½ Tsp. black pepper
- ¼ Tsp. red pepper
- Six medium potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 ½ Tbsp. shallots, minced
- Three stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
1. Remove beef from the package, and place in a bowl. Over medium heat, slowly add in butter, and heat in a skillet. Now in skillet, brown beef cubes well, turning on all sides. Remove beef from the skillet, and set aside. Next chop onion, garlic, parsley, and set aside.
2. In the skillet, sauté onions until tender. Return meat to pan; add in wine, beef broth, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, and peppers. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables; peel potatoes, and cut in half set aside. Next peel shallots, and mince. Chop celery finely.
3. Next quarter tomatoes, and set aside. When meat has cooked for 1-½ hours, add potatoes, carrots, shallots, and celery. Cook one hour, or until meat and vegetables are tender. Twenty minutes before the end of cooking add in tomatoes.
Makes six servings.