Black Beans With Rice And Avocado
- 1 lb dried black beans, cleaned and rinsed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 Tsp coarse salt
- 1 Tsp cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp extra -virgin olive oil
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1poblano Chile, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1Tsp dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco (about 4 ounces)
- 1 jalapeno Chile, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
1. In a large stockpot, cover beans and bay leaf with 3 inches of cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, season with salt, and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 ½ hours. Drain beans, reserving 4 cups cooking liquid. Clean pot and heat over medium heat.
2. Add cumin seeds and toast, tossing, frequently, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of pot. Add onion, poblano, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about eight minutes. Stir in oregano and ¼ teaspoon salt; add beans and reserved liquid.
3. Simmer twenty minutes. Discard bay leaf; season with one-teaspoon salt. Serve over rice, topped with avocados, cheese, jalapeno, and cilantro.
Makes 8 servings