- 3 cups of water
- 1 ½ cups dried green, or brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tsp salt
- ½ Tsp pepper
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small seedless cucumber, cut into ½- inch pieces
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
1. Remove lentils from package, and rinse. Next fill a medium sized stockpot with 3 cups of water. Bring water to a heated boil. Place lentils into boiling water along with bay leaf, and return to a heated boil. Now reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove lentils from heat once finished cooking and let cool.
2. Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, two tablespoons oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the celery, cucumber, and red onion and toss to coat. Fold in the lentils and parsley. Makes 4 servings.