Cream Of Broccoli Soup
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 small yellow onion chopped in small pieces
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 1 Tsp minced garlic
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine divided
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ Tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ Tsp ground nutmeg
- 5½ cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
1. Chop onion very finely, and place into a medium bowl and set aside. Next chop celery finely, and place into bowl with onion. Mince garlic and add to onion and celery. Now heat a medium sized stockpot, and add two tablespoons of butter. Once butter is melted, add in onion and celery mixture, and sauté for five minutes. Next add in broccoli and chicken stock bringing to a heated boil.
2. Once at a heated boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for ten minutes. Remove stockpot from heat. Now pour half of soup mixture into a blender or food processor. Hold down the lid of the blender, set the blender to puree and blend on high for ten seconds or as needed stopping and checking.
3. Once mixture is puree, transfer to stockpot. With remaining mixture repeat several times. Once finished pureeing mixture add in heavy cream, pepper, and nutmeg. Return to heat, and cook on medium low heat for five minutes. Garnish with broccoli florets, or three to four croutons. Garnish with basil and shredded Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4-5 servings