Spiced Apple Pie
- 1 package (11 oz) piecrust mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ Tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp ground clove
- 3 lbs red apples, peeled, cored, cut into ¼ thick slices
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 egg beaten
- Decorative sugar (optional)
- Vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place a baking sheet on lower oven rack. Coat nine-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Prepare piecrust mix, according to package directions. Divide dough in half. Wrap and chill one dough piece. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough into a 13 inch round. Fit into pie pan.
Trim and flute dough by pinching edge between thumb and forefinger, as shown.
2. Refrigerate crust. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir in apples, lemon juice, and zest. Transfer to crust. Roll out reserved dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Using two ¼ inch apple shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes, re rolling scraps as necessary. Arrange cut outs over filling.
3. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with decorative sugar. Bake on hot baking sheet for fifteen minutes. Reduce oven to 350 F. Bake one hour and fifteen minutes until golden and bubbly. Cool on rack. Serves 10.