Vegetarian Risotto Cakes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup minced onion or shallots
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ Tsp salt
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth heated
- 1 ½ cups fresh green peas or spinach
- ¼ cup light cream, heated
- ½ cup finely grated Parmigianino Reggiano cheese
- ¼ cup flour or crushed cornflakes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add onions; cook three minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring constantly, two minutes. Add wine and salt; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring, adding ½ cup broth at a time and making sure most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more.
2. With the second to last addition of broth, add peas or spinach. Total cooking time is about 20 minutes. After all broth has been added stir in cream and cheese.
3. Chill risotto four hours or overnight, shape into patties, dredge in flour or crushed cornflakes. Heat oil in nonstick skillet. Add mixture with a spoon to form cakes and sauté until browned and crispy.