Green Bean and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ cup butter or margarine (divided)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 Tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ Tsp ground, black pepper
- 1/8 Tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup waterchesnuts
- 2 cups French-style green beans, thawed and well drained
1. In a medium skillet, sauté mushrooms and onion in butter. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes. Meanwhile in a medium saucepan melt ¼ cup butter. Add in ¼ cup of flour until the mixture becomes a roux.
2. Next add in milk, and bring to a boil. Now add in cheese, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for seven to ten minutes, or until cheese has melted thoroughly. Next add in soy sauce, pepper and hot pepper sauce until heated through about three minutes.
3. Remove from the heat; stir in water chestnuts. Place beans in an un-greased 3 qt. baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375 F for twenty-five to thirty minutes or until bubbly.