- ¼ cup flour
- 1 Tsp sea salt ( divided)
- ¼ Tsp black pepper
- ½ Tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp nutmeg
- 1½ lbs (rump, round or chuck) cut 1-½ inches thick
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-¼ cups stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced carrots (optional
- ½ cup sliced celery (optional)
1. Combine the flour, ½ tsp salt, Italian seasoning,and pepper. Next season steak with remaining salt, garlic powder, and nutmeg. Dredge the steak with the seasoned flour. Pound both sides of the steak as much as possible with the flour mixture as it will hold. In a Dutch oven heat the butter; add the steak and brown very well on both sides.
2. Add the vegetables, cover and simmer gently until tender, one and one half to two hours. Remove the meat to a warm platter and keep hot. Strain, and scrape the drippings from the pan and skim the fat from the surface. Serve hot as gravy.
Makes 4 servings.